DIY is trending in the home improvement industry. Television and the Internet instructs us how easy home improvement can be. It is really so simple? Can DIY really save you money? These are some good questions you should be asking yourself when you take on your home improvement projects. Investing in your home improvement is a important decision that can be rewarding or a money pit if you are not prepared or have the proper skills to do it yourself.
Here is a couple of quick questions you should ask yourself to see if you are ready to tackle a big project as home improvement.
1. Are you a hard worker that is patient and enjoys physical labor?
2. Do you have the skills and tools to complete the project?
3. Are you familiar with the city codes and building permits that are required?
4. Will you be able to get all the materials you need? If not will your supplier deliver?
5. How long will your project take to complete? Do you have the spare time?
6. What happens if you have a mistake, do you have the extra funds to get it fixed?
If you could answer "yes" to all these questions, you might be ready to take on you home improvement project. If "no" was your more common answer you should consider hiring a contractor.
You have looked at your home improvement project and decided it is time to hire a contractor. Hiring the right contractor for you can save you money, time and stress. Here is some crucial questions to ask a contractor before you hire them for your home project.
1. Do they have creditable references?
2. How long have they been in business?
3. Do they pictures of the work they have completed?
4. Do they have the proper licences for their business?
5. Will they give you a written agreement outlining what work will be done?
6. Will they give you an exact price or just an estimate?
7. Will they take care of the permits and inspections?
8. Is the work they do guaranteed?
Weather you decide do it yourself or hire a contractor, do your homework. Be prepared, do a budget, and know the project you are going to tackle.